Archive for EFSedan.com 1987 to 1991 Honda Civic Sedan Owners Club
 


       EFSedan.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
ineedmyls

Rattle underneath !

Sup dudes. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread. Please move to where ever it should be if this isn't the right place.

I've had my car for 3 or so weeks now and all there is in it is aftermarket headers and and short ram intake. After installing the headers there has been a rattle underneath the car. Not instantly but 5-10 minutes into driving (assuming just when it's warmed up). I think it's the cat or somewhere further down towards the front of the car. It sounds like a metal to metal rattling noise. Loudest in 3rd gear and also pretty loud while I'm chillin at lights and stops. It's pretty embarrassing. Anybody know what's going on? I've searched a bit and some people say it's the cat's heatshield or something but the only time I've ever touched the cat was by putting boxes underneath it to support it when I disconnected the old exhaust manifold to install the new one. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yo!
90efLS

Check to see if your shift linkage is rattling against the exhaust, I had the same issue.
89 LX SOHC ZC

I would check all of your heatshields it sounds like when you installed your header it moved your exhaust closer to one of the shields.  Good luck on finding your rattle they drive me nuts.
ineedmyls

90efLS wrote:
Check to see if your shift linkage is rattling against the exhaust, I had the same issue.


Sorry, I'm still pretty new here as you can tell by my "noob status" sig, haha. What is the shift linkage and how would I go about checking it?

89 LX SOHC ZC wrote:
I would check all of your heatshields it sounds like when you installed your header it moved your exhaust closer to one of the shields.  Good luck on finding your rattle they drive me nuts.


I actually did have to tug a little on the cat to reach the down pipe of the exhaust manifold. Is there a way I can build a gap between the two to have it sit how it would normally sit? I also notice that after the install, the welded edges (where the two bolts connect the manifold and cat) sit much lower to the ground and the manifold itself doesn't sit as flush to the chassis of the car anymore causing to me to scape in some cases. I'm fenders are about 2 or finger gaps to the front wheel. That's the drop I'm working with.

Thank you both for your replies! I'm loving everything about the car but the rattle is just so irrking.
90efLS

Lol its all good man. Shift linkage is the rods that go from your shifter to your transmission. Sometimes they can become loose and rattle against the exhaust. Jack the sedan up and just start peeking around.
89 LX SOHC ZC

It sounds like when you pulled your exhaust down and forward you you moved the rear section up and forward.   I would check the heatshield back by the front of the gas tank where the exhaust comes out of the tunnal and turns to go around the tank.  As for building a gap in the exhaust I dont know if its possable without cutting and welding the exhaust.
ineedmyls

90efLS wrote:
Lol its all good man. Shift linkage is the rods that go from your shifter to your transmission. Sometimes they can become loose and rattle against the exhaust. Jack the sedan up and just start peeking around.


89 LX SOHC ZC wrote:
It sounds like when you pulled your exhaust down and forward you you moved the rear section up and forward.   I would check the heatshield back by the front of the gas tank where the exhaust comes out of the tunnal and turns to go around the tank.  As for building a gap in the exhaust I dont know if its possable without cutting and welding the exhaust.


Okay so I looked around and I guess it wasn't the shift linkage but the next glob of piping after the cat. So in order it would go .. front end --> header --> header down pipe --> attaching to cat --> then the next oddly shaped football looking pipe with what looks to be the heatshield over it (that's the only way I know how to describe it, haha sorry.. and which I'm 75% sure that's where the rattle is coming from). I hope that made sense, haha. I looked around that shield and didn't see or feel any nuts/bolts/screws to tighten or loosen so how would I be able to still tend to the rattle problem? I did have to pull just a bit on the rear section so I'm sure that's forcing the rattle but there's no going back to the old manifold either.
EFfin Sedan 91

The resonator? That's the only thing in the midpipe after the cat. Is your exhaust stock? I bought a cheap ebay one and something inside the muffler broke and caused an extremely annoying rattling sound. Could be the same situation.
ineedmyls

EFfin Sedan 91 wrote:
The resonator? That's the only thing in the midpipe after the cat. Is your exhaust stock? I bought a cheap ebay one and something inside the muffler broke and caused an extremely annoying rattling sound. Could be the same situation.


Does it have two sheets of metal formed around it on both sides? I took a look at it again, and theres nothing under there shaped like a football passed the cat. I thought thats what I saw but it was just piping with two sheets of metal wrapped around it, bolted together, and also where the hanger is holding it up.

So today I went under just to tighten stuff up again. I ended up disconnecting the headers down pipe from the cat, then put it back together. I have no idea why, but I did it, haha. Then loosened the bolts on the pipe and shielding passed the cat toward the rear and retightened them as well. I don't hear anymore rattling. I guess everything just needed tightening? Hopefully it doesn't come back either.

Thanks to everyone for their help though!
89 LX SOHC ZC

Glad to hear the rattle is gone I hope its gone for good.
90efLS

Glad to see you got it fixed. Sometimes a good tightening is in order lol.

       EFSedan.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum