Archive for EFSedan.com 1987 to 1991 Honda Civic Sedan Owners Club
 


       EFSedan.com Forum Index -> Project Logs
xnickkkkx

Poor little EF

I'm in the process of building up my ef, as are pretty much all of you :p
Right now pretty much everything is bone stock, engine wise, and all body work. Car has been sanded down, primed, and I'm in the process of popping out the dents, removing the rust, custom rolling new fenders and quarter panels. (more or less pricing how much it will be in my area).

I bought the car for $500 from this guy up in Oklahoma City who knew nothing about cars at all. We were actually looking to get a CRX, but I only found one in my price range, and it was missing the front crossmember. I didn't have a parts car to pull one from, so I couldn't get it.

But, anyways, the guy thought the battery was all messed up, so he replaced it. My dad drives it home with me, and it starts to die. I find out it was the fuel filter, so we changed it and made it home with no problems at all.

It sits until I'm almost sixteen, with occassional start ups to make sure it's still good and all. We start working on the interior, install a stereo, wire up my subs, and I finally get my license. I loved the car to death, of course, cause it's all mine.

Friends start making fun of it, which is what led me to start looking into actually modifying it. Between my complete lack of knowledge of cars, and my dad's ~25 years of being a mechanic, we start working on it.

First thing I did was sand the trunk down, shoot it with some rattle can paint, then move on to the fenders and passenger side. I started actually working on the engine, little things like changing the oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs and wires, and the distributor.

I drive it like that up until about two months ago, when I finally got the money and knowledge to finally start working on it.

It started out in that beige color (you all know that color).
Oh yeah, and the post it notes are all thanks to an ex of mine, who thought it'd be a good joke. And it was, thanks Savannah :p



But that's what I pretty much started with. There's no pictures of it while I was in the process of painting it, of course.

In November, I managed to get ahold of a '91 sedan. 5-speed, solid body, perfect condition engine, good interior, etc. Since then I've just been stripping parts off it to transfer over to the '88. First thing I did was pull off the bumpers, which was a bitch, and paint them. Put them on the car, and fell in love. I got ahold of a set of 17 inch Konigs, with one missing, so I had to get ahold of a 15 inch Enkei. Looked like this:



Those rims were completely sick. I loved them, the ride was not sacrificed at all, and I could still make those sharp turns that Honda is known for.

In January we had a snow storm. I was partying with some friends, like teenagers do, and I thought it'd be cool to drift my car on some ice. I managed to hit a curb doing roughly 35 mph, bent my control arm, crossmember, and rear subframe. So, I had to take off the rims, and fix all that. Thankfully I bought that '91.

My dad was pissed, so I no longer have my rims on the front. It took two days in the snow and ice to fix it, and now it runs just like before. Smile

I pulled off the front bumper for a new coat of paint, so I'm running without a bumper right now. Cool, I guess, but I feel weird with such a short front end...



I got a job out at McDonald's, and now that it's summer I can start banking. Well, banking for a seventeen year old. :p
I'm on full time, making roughly $500 a check, you know, so I can spend money on this car now.

I'm in the process of trying to get an engine lift so that I can change out the automatic transmission with that 5-speed.

After the transmission swap is done, I get to pull the '88 engine out, comepletely change the head over to either a GSR or b18b2 head. Lots of work, and a lot of money, but worth it in the end.

I'll keep you guys updated every time I change something. Even if it isn't a big change.




MattyJ

you just gonna slap that head onto the d16 block...

you need to get on Honda-Tech.com or  NWP4LIFE.com and start reading... i don't mean to sound like a jerk but what separates the "good builds" from the crappy ones is learning as much as you can, and taking your time. Do it right the first time. I have had my car since 06 and I did little mods here and there. Patiently waiting, learning, gathering resources, and surrounding myself with people who know what there doing. Oklahoma has some good car scene areas, tulsa to be specific has a big scene. Check out truformonline.com they are based out of springfield, mo but people are on there from all over the 4 state area.

mattyj
xnickkkkx

MattyJ wrote:
you just gonna slap that head onto the d16 block...

you need to get on Honda-Tech.com or  NWP4LIFE.com and start reading... i don't mean to sound like a jerk but what separates the "good builds" from the crappy ones is learning as much as you can, and taking your time. Do it right the first time. I have had my car since 06 and I did little mods here and there. Patiently waiting, learning, gathering resources, and surrounding myself with people who know what there doing. Oklahoma has some good car scene areas, tulsa to be specific has a big scene. Check out truformonline.com they are based out of springfield, mo but people are on there from all over the 4 state area.

mattyj


Oh, I know it's a lot more work than just slapping it on. My dad's rebuilt a lot of engines in the past, and he knows what he's doing. I am going to do some more research into it though, just because I'm not going to half-ass anything on this car. I'm taking my time when it comes to actually building up the engine. Body work, I'm not nearly as concerned with when it comes to cutting corners and things like that. The engine though, that's a completely different story.
Thanks for the heads up and resources though, bro.

And here's an update for you guys, while I'm on.

I painted my trunk lid today, and changed my headlight bulbs over to the cool blues until I can get the money for an HID conversion kit. They're just the 3500k from Auto Zone, but when I go to HID I'm going with the 8000k.



And here are the new bulbs...

jon_akers

Welcome, I love the original color of it. I would like to suggest not getting 8k headlights man, for the sake of being able to see at night. I guess in reality, it can't be worse than the factory lighting of a car form 1988, but you should try to stick around a 4500 or 5k for best clarity.

Can't wait to see how your ride turns out man! Props on doing the work.
mitsubishiv5

seems to me like you didnt swap over the 90-91 taillights cause the plugs didnt match. its very easy to repin the plugs to mate the 90-91 taillights to the 88-89. keep up the work, check up on this in the future
xnickkkkx

jon_akers wrote:
Welcome, I love the original color of it. I would like to suggest not getting 8k headlights man, for the sake of being able to see at night. I guess in reality, it can't be worse than the factory lighting of a car form 1988, but you should try to stick around a 4500 or 5k for best clarity.

Can't wait to see how your ride turns out man! Props on doing the work.


Oh, really? I just figured the higher it went the brighter the lights where. Thanks for that though.

mitsubishiv5 wrote:
seems to me like you didnt swap over the 90-91 taillights cause the plugs didnt match. its very easy to repin the plugs to mate the 90-91 taillights to the 88-89. keep up the work, check up on this in the future


I haven't switched over the tail lights because the ones off my '91 are in terrible shape. The left one has a huge crack and some muck dripping inside of it. I'm gonna have to either get some aftermarket ones, or a new set of OEM ones. I'd like to get ahold of a set of tail lights that look like the OEM ones off a '92, but I guess they're not made..

Hatch lights don't fit on a sedan, right? They're too thin and long?
89ef2

At your age I started out just like you.... learned a lot of stuff I know from doing it myself... wrecked a perfectly good car but didn't have the money to fix it so learned on my own as I went (dad said it was up to me cause he wasn't fixing it). progress is look good
jon_akers

I wasn't trying to knock you or anything, just the higher you go above 5k, the blue-er /purple-er the light is, and less it "cuts" the night. Want my EF people to be safe driving at night. Once again, props on the car! I have only had mine a couple months, and have had it pretty much disassembled. Keep posting progress.
Proper282

I'm not sure you quite understood what mattyj was trying tell you. The d-series motor can in no way be fitted with a b-series head... Just won't happen.

I like the dedication you have for this buid. Wish i could still dump $$$ into my sedan. You are on the right track, and like was said before doing things yourself is an awesome way to learn!

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

^^^ register here and download the 88-91 civic manuals. Anything you will ever need to know is right there.
xnickkkkx

89ef2 wrote:
At your age I started out just like you.... learned a lot of stuff I know from doing it myself... wrecked a perfectly good car but didn't have the money to fix it so learned on my own as I went (dad said it was up to me cause he wasn't fixing it). progress is look good


That's what my dad told me after I wrecked the first time. It's all trial and error now.

jon_akers wrote:
I wasn't trying to knock you or anything, just the higher you go above 5k, the blue-er /purple-er the light is, and less it "cuts" the night. Want my EF people to be safe driving at night. Once again, props on the car! I have only had mine a couple months, and have had it pretty much disassembled. Keep posting progress.


Oh, I see. I know you weren't trying to knock me, I suppose I didn't understand what you were saying. I was going for the 8k for the blue lights. I thought you were saying that the 8k wasn't nearly as bright as the 5k.
Thanks, bro Smile

Proper282 wrote:
I'm not sure you quite understood what mattyj was trying tell you. The d-series motor can in no way be fitted with a b-series head... Just won't happen.

I like the dedication you have for this buid. Wish i could still dump $$$ into my sedan. You are on the right track, and like was said before doing things yourself is an awesome way to learn!

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

^^^ register here and download the 88-91 civic manuals. Anything you will ever need to know is right there.


Oh, really? Well in that case, I'll just get new rods and pistons and build it up from there until I can afford a GSR engine.
Thanks for that man! I love this car more than anything right now.
xnickkkkx

Just a bump/update.

My dad and I removed the transmission from the '91. We've got everything out and it's all getting ready to be dropped into my '88. I just have to decide whether I want a racing clutch or the stock. I'm looking for a ten pound flywheel, because I don't want to go too light, but I don't want the stock ~fifteen pound flywheel.

Can you guys possibly help with these?
I've never driven a manual transmission car before, but I know the general way to do it.
Proper282

I daily my sedan 50mi each way with a 7lb flywheel and a stock replacement clutch with no issues. Revs drop fast between shifts so you have to get the hang of it. If you've never driven stick might as well start with a light flywheel. After that any other 5spd will be cake to drive.
xnickkkkx

Alright man, that helps me quite a bit.

So, we had some heavy rain yesterday and I hydroplaned right into the back of a truck. Completely shattered my headlight, crushed my hood, and crushed my fender. I've already replaced it all though, and it looks better now. What a sad day. No insurance claim, and no ticket since the guy's truck wasn't damaged whatsoever. Smile
xnickkkkx

Bump.
I painted the car blue, and I took it out for a photoshoot.



Tomorrow I get to start working on dropping my new transmission in Very Happy

       EFSedan.com Forum Index -> Project Logs
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum