Archive for EFSedan.com 1987 to 1991 Honda Civic Sedan Owners Club
 


       EFSedan.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
88Dark_CivLude

FML... damn D15

Okay so I just had a full tune up done ie all plugs wires cap and rotor replaced less than aweek ago. less than four months ago. she finally passed smog  so i have been babying her every were i drive (nice not to have to run from the cops) so today i had to take a short out of town less than 60miles round trip so it was a nice day i drove bout 65-70mph out and 75 back she running like a champ!

so i get back in town and i decide to pass a car so i go from 30 to 35 to make the lane change when the car sputters a lil (first time this has happen) so i give it a lil more gas and the car cuts off completely!

so i come to stop no power no nothing first i knew that was the battery connection for my sound system so i jump out tighten it up and jump back in i have power! so i start her up... sounds like she not getting gas so we push her to the side i wait a few and try again

she starts up runs for 10 seconds and immediately dies i try again starts up soon as i give it gas she putters then back fires and dies... so i call my best friends dad to come tow it to their house... he had me turn it over for him and to him he said it sounds likes the timing belts slipped big time... what do you guys think? im debating should i just drop another 265 if its the timing belt again or just find another motor... just when i got all the ducks in a row to install my hybrid Da/Ef supention ... fml
EF2dudesocal

It might be your fuel pump
cleanRENO90

yeah, did you hear a "clunk" when you cranked it? because if you didn't you might have gotten lucky and not trashed some valves.
~Sp33~

Re: FML... damn D15

88Dark_CivLude wrote:
Okay so I just had a full tune up done ie all plugs wires cap and rotor replaced less than aweek ago. less than four months ago. she finally passed smog  so i have been babying her every were i drive (nice not to have to run from the cops) so today i had to take a short out of town less than 60miles round trip so it was a nice day i drove bout 65-70mph out and 75 back she running like a champ!

so i get back in town and i decide to pass a car so i go from 30 to 35 to make the lane change when the car sputters a lil (first time this has happen) so i give it a lil more gas and the car cuts off completely!

so i come to stop no power no nothing first i knew that was the battery connection for my sound system so i jump out tighten it up and jump back in i have power! so i start her up... sounds like she not getting gas so we push her to the side i wait a few and try again

she starts up runs for 10 seconds and immediately dies i try again starts up soon as i give it gas she putters then back fires and dies... so i call my best friends dad to come tow it to their house... he had me turn it over for him and to him he said it sounds likes the timing belts slipped big time... what do you guys think? im debating should i just drop another 265 if its the timing belt again or just find another motor... just when i got all the ducks in a row to install my hybrid Da/Ef supention ... fml


I really really doubt it. It is also really easy to check too. Take off your timing belt cover, and use a ratchet to line up the engine. If the timing belt has all it's teeth, then the belt was too loose.

If all the markers line up properly, then the belt isn't your problem. Are all your plugs on nice and firm? Perhaps one 'popped' off.

Did the car bog out and die, or just turn itself off?

Was there any noise associated with it turning off?

They're all good starting points as to finding out what the problem may be.

Good luck bud!
88Dark_CivLude

EF2dudesocal wrote:
It might be your fuel pump



That was one of my thoughts as well thats one of the first i will check


cleanRENO90 wrote:
yeah, did you hear a "clunk" when you cranked it? because if you didn't you might have gotten lucky and not trashed some valves.


No "Clunk" thank gosh it starts up just fine with no noises

~Sp33~ wrote:
I really really doubt it. It is also really easy to check too. Take off your timing belt cover, and use a ratchet to line up the engine. If the timing belt has all it's teeth, then the belt was too loose.

If all the markers line up properly, then the belt isn't your problem. Are all your plugs on nice and firm? Perhaps one 'popped' off.

Did the car bog out and die, or just turn itself off?

Was there any noise associated with it turning off?

They're all good starting points as to finding out what the problem may be.

Good luck bud!


I Will check that as well first as well

The plugs i checked them them Cuz i had the same thoughts they were fine none had "poped"  when i was passing it did bog down as I gave it more gas then it shut itself down. There was no noise when it shut down

I am also going to check the ECU as well cuz ive had one of those go bad on me in a former car as well...


So I got myself a Official Honda shop manual so the next few days are going to be fun... lol
eks

Check ur engine bay fuses  ........ the large fuse too
88Dark_CivLude

eks wrote:
Check ur engine bay fuses  ........ the large fuse too
Will do my check list is growing!

       EFSedan.com Forum Index -> Drivetrain
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum